This has officially been our longest summer of our lives. Since Peru is south of the equator, it’s seasons are opposite from the States. Summer in Peru begins in December and ends around April – the month we returned to the States. So, we have enjoyed 9 months of ongoing hot, sunny weather. We landed in a family lake house in Hot Springs, AR. While being back in Allen’s home state, it’s been jammed packed with family reunions, high school reunions, weddings, summer camps, cookouts, hiking, tubing, skiing, tons of Magic Springs, and many other American customs.
Back in March we asked you to pray for our girls that they would all get into the right grade. When our girls took the entry exam here in Hot Springs, we were wondering if our Peruvian schooling + a little English homeschooling combo would set our girls back a grade. Turns out that they all did very well and tested into the exact grades for which we were praying. God answered your prayers – thank you!
Now that school is in full swing, I plan on hitting the road this fall and visiting many of you and our supporting churches. My speaking & travel schedule thus far:
- Oct. 19 – Trinity Grace, Rogers, AR
- Nov. 2 – Christ Presbyterian, Oxford, MS
- Nov. 19 – First Pres., Gulfport, MS
- Dec. 7 – First Pres., Stamps, AR
- Jan. 7 – Trinity Pres., Jackson, MS
- Jan. 13 – Grace Presbytery meeting
- Jan. 18 – Faith Pres., Clinton, LA
- Jan. 25 – Pear Orchard Pres., Jackson, MS
- Feb. 1 – Faith Pres., Brookhaven, MS
- Feb. 8 – Tuscaloosa, AL
- Feb. 15 – Christ Covenant, Hernando, MS & Memphis area
- Feb. 18-22 – Dallas
- later March – Central America, Guatemala
- April 12 – First Pres., Aliceville, AL
If you would like for me to pay you a visit, please do not hesitate to email me or call me at 501-400-2202. I hope to see you soon!
Thank you for your prayers and support!
Allen & Sandi Smith
We are only a few weeks away from returning to the States for our year furlough. We will land in Hot Springs, Arkansas on April 13. Right now we are busy in many areas: Allen is handing off his responsibilities to various leaders, Sandi is packing up our house, the girls are finishing up their school work and we have 8 plus “despedidas” (going away parties) to attend. Our Peruvian friends & mission team are sure making us feel loved!
Good Moment for Furlough
In the past two years, God has blessed the Cristo Rey Church. New members have joined the church, new leaders are being trained, new ministries have been formed, and we have a new location. Sunday worship now averages 92 each week. If the church continues to grow at our present rate, in just a few years, the church should become completely sustainable in both its funding & national leadership. It is a great relief to know that we are leaving Cristo Rey at such a good moment with such capable leaders!
Falling Behind on Supporters
One of my responsabilities as a missionary is to keep my supporters up-to-date on our financial state. After receiving our last month’s financial report, I discovered that we are at an all time financial low. Several churches are unable to continue supporting us this year, and on top of that, we have extra travel & moving expenses that come with going on furlough, placing our finances even further behind. It is good that we are going on furlough to raise more money.
You Can Help!
However, in the mean time, we need your help. We have already raised $5K in the last few weeks by simply making a few phone calls. If we could raise another $10K in the next month, would should be fine. Would you consider giving a one-time donation to help cover our financial downfall? Even if you can only give $25, it will help! Here are the two ways you can make a financial contribution:
- You can send a check to the following address, with a memo note saying “Smith Family Support”:
Christian Missionary Society
P.O. Box 14563
Greenville, SC, 29610-4563
- Formation of Peruvian Church Planting Team. Our hope is that through the Apprenticeship Program, God would form a church planting team. Please join us in prayer that this year God would confirm a Peruvian church planter and his church planting team.
- Leadership Transition. Right now Allen is turning over all his responsibilities to other leaders. With change always comes tension and opportunity for conflict. Please pray that God would make these transitions smooth and promote greater national leadership.
- Children Education. Upon arriving back to the States, please pray that our girls will be able to test into their appropriate grade for their age. They will take their entrance exam in late April. They are also nervous about fitting in & making new friends at their new school. Pray that God will provide great friends for each of them.
- Financial Support. We are very thankful for your ongoing financial support. However we just found out that we are at an all time financial low. Several churches cannot continue to support us, and we have extra travel & moving costs in returning to the States. Please pray that we will be able to raise an addition $10K in the next several weeks.
Thank you for your prayers & support!
Our family SO enjoyed having the talented photojournalist, Jesse Abbott, in our home earlier this month. He came to Peru working with Silent Images, an incredible NPO that provides photography and videography services to other nonprofit organizations seeking to tell stories of hope in the midst of persecution, poverty, or oppression. These stories and images are used to educate people about global and domestic needs, empowering them to go, give, and pray. Before arriving in Trujillo, he and his videographer partner, Lydia, had shot a story on sex trafficking in the jungle and after he left our house he was off to cover a skateboarding ministry in Ecuador.
A BIG thanks to Silent Images for coming to Peru to serve us! And thanks for the fun family pics Jesse snapped of our family for the Peru Mission website.
To view the best quality, change the bottom right-hand dial settings to 720p HD
Greetings from Peru!
We hope that you are off to a good start to this new year.
We have just uploaded our most recent video update. We invite you to see what God is doing in our ministry and family here in Trujillo, Peru.
Feel free to share it with your friends. We are exciting to see what God is going to do this year!
Here are some ways you might pray for us:
- that we would be consistent in our personal and family devotions.
- that we would be intentional with non-Christian friendship so that we might see many of them be converted this year.
- that we would be better encouragers in our family and among our mission team.
- that God would bless Allen’s leadership at Cristo Rey Church and with the new church planting apprentices.
Some fun ways to keep up with us this year (other than this blog):
Twitter: @SandiLSmith @allensmith76
Instagram: @sandismith @allensmith
Give us an old fashion phone call : 901-399-0463 (Home)
Grace and peace,
Allen, Sandi, Abigail, Adeline, Mary Allen & Eva
Leadership Development Director for Peru Mission
Click here or on the picture below to see our latest family update.
Check out what we have been doing this past month at language school.